Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day

Just hanging out at the Steaming Bean right now in Durango. It's my usual hangout spot when I'm waiting for Matt to finish a ride, since they have free wireless here. Matt should be coming back from his ride any time now. He decided to ride up the part of the Colorado Trail he did yesterday. He lost his new FooMTB long sleeved jacket somewhere on the trail, more than likely the part he's doing today, during his ride yesterday. What a bummer!

For me, it was an off the legs workout day, so I went to the Durango Community Rec Center to do some upper body lifting. What a nice place! We've used it before to shower when we camp in Durango, but I'd never gone upstairs to look at their workout facilities. The equipment is new and clean. It's also not crowded, which is a plus. Guess most people here have sense enough to go outside to workout when the weather's nice. They have a pool area that's amazing if you have kids...kiddy pool has a lazy river you can float around in with inner tubes and everything. Reminds me of a mini Wet N Wild with the water fountains, colorful animals, and water slides. Very cute.

For only $4.50, I was able to use all the facilities there. After working out, I went back to the hotel, packed up the Element, and headed downtown. I've never really shopped there before since I'm usually out riding, so I figured I'd walk around. Managed to walk the entire area in about 2 hours.

Tomorrow morning I'm riding with Sandy, bright and early. I'm meeting her near the Foothills at 7:45 AM. I'm gonna have to dig out my cold weather clothes! I'll go for a short ride with her, then head to work. I'll just work late to make up the time. Maybe tag on a little more time throughout the rest of the week to make it fair and square.

Sandy, by the way, is a serious bad-ass rider. She used to mountain bike competitively until her unbelievable strength caused her to rip some muscle from the bone. She was even in Switzerland for one of the World Mountain Biking Championships...competing against Marla Streb no less!!! Unfortunately, she's been down for the count for 3 years now. I can't complain about my predicament compared to hers. She's had an amazing recovery and is now back on the bike. She's also a PT and has been giving me tips for my recovery. I'm even borrowing the cane she used a bit for her recovery. :O)

3 comments:

WUNNSPEED said...

Coffee! Mmmm. Your friends to ride with are much better looking than my friends (excluding my wife, of course).

ojulius said...

Oh, I KNOW my friends are better looking than your friends (KC ones, that is)--I've ridden with *your* friends. ;o)

ojulius said...

You're right on about the cold! I like it there in the summer, but if I'm not skiing, I'd rather not be there in the winter. :) Oh, and only 3 hrs. from ABQ too. Nice, quick getaway...

You may even be able to get a free shower at the Rec center if you run into the right person at the front desk! It's hit or miss, but worst case is $4.50.