Sunday, May 28, 2006

It's pronounced Floreeeda

I took Florida (don't pronounce it like the state, or you'll get funny looks from the locals) Road all the way out toward the reservoir, but decided to keep on chugging along toward Bayfield. I wanted to set a new goal--40 miles. I got in 43! I'm paying for it now though. My entire body is sore. Feels like I have the flu or something with the all over achiness. Just popped some pain meds, so soon, all will be good. ;o)

The ride was awesome! The pic you see was heading out to the reservoir at mile 10. Had to take a nature break, so I got a picture as well.

As I got to about mile 15, the dark clouds really started rolling in, as did the wind. Luckily, it was a tailwind for the climbing, so I got a little boost, which was nice. On the way back was another story. I wanted to stop and take some pics, but I wanted to avoid the potential rain even more, so I chose to bypass the scenery. I rode part of this ride yesterday, with one descent I distinctly remember being 35 mph. Today it was 20 mph and I was hauling ass just to get that. It was brutal coming back, but a very good workout.

Ride Stats (a new record since the surgery!)
  • Distance: 43 miles
  • Ride time: 3:07
  • Total time: 3:34 (includes a short stop in town to get a glimpse of the crits before heading to the hotel)
  • Avg speed: 13.8 (blasted wind!)
  • Max speed: 38.3 (blasted wind!)
  • Avg heartrate: 145
  • Calories: 1254
Made it back to the hotel room, downed the recovery drink, ate a banana with peanut butter, and a hardboiled egg (mmmm, yummy lunch--not--but no appetite after the recovery drink) and took off downtown to watch the men's crits. I missed the women and was bummed by that, but did get to see Luna Chix Shonny Vanlandingham and Crazy Cat/Yeti's Shannon Gibson hanging around after the women's crits. Definitely 2 of my road and mountain biking heros!

Got a call from Matt (that's him stretching for the ride yesterday) about 20 minutes before the men's pro crits were to finish. I headed back to the hotel, and sure enough, he was all in one piece and happy to have had one epic of a ride. He got cleaned up and we headed out to STB (Serious Texas BBQ) for some sammiches, then off to Steamworks for some good beer!

Well, I'm wiped, Matt's wiped, it's been a great day, so it's time for some shuteye.

Hasta!

4 comments:

K said...

Holy moly. I'm getting scared to ride with you. I hope you don't think I'm too much of a loser rider come our ride this week :)

ojulius said...

Don't be scared! The ride is all about getting fellow women mountain bikers together to have some fun riding in the dirt. You'll have a great time and leave feeling like you got a good workout. ;o)

Matt said...

Cool Jeni...keep up the recovery schedule and you'll be back to busting out the big miles!

But remember the standing order: Don't rip out the bone screws!

ojulius said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.