Saturday, May 27, 2006

Faster than a Speeding Train!

As expected, Matt beat the train today. He took off at 8:15 AM from Durango, along with all the other riders in the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic Citizen's Tour, with the challenge of beating the infamous train into Silverton. 2:56 I believe was his time; the train generally takes 3:30 to get to Silverton, so he had lots of time to spare. You'll be able to get the details from his blog pretty soon. I got some good pictures of him at the starting line.

The weather is great here. A nice respite from the pounding heat and wind in Albuquerque. I took a slower ride out on Florida Road today, only covering about 25 miles. I was sore today, so I didn't want to push it, especially since I want to go on the longer ride tomorrow. I'm planning to take Florida Road all the way out to the Lemon Reservoir. I thought it was 40 miles, but just Googled it from the hotel and it's only about 30. There's some ass-kicking (at least for someone in my physical state still recovering from the hip surgery) climbs involved, so that may be all I need. If I need more, I'll go a bit more on County Road 240 to get in 35 or so.

To avoid doing any damage to the body, I have to remember to sit and spin...sit and spin. No more standing on the climbs. Reminds me of a toy my sister had when she was little.

Matt will be doing a hammerfest tomorrow, and I'm hoping he comes back with no mechanicals and a big fat smile on his face. Should be fun, as he's planning to ride with a very good rider from Durango, Dave Harris.

5 comments:

K said...

You guys are cute! Sounds like you're way more serious than I am :) Have a safe trip back to the heat.

ojulius said...

Hey K,
Ready for a ride next week??? :)

WUNNSPEED said...

Got to love the Sit-N-Spin reference. Those were so fun.

K said...

Yes, I think I'm ready. I might be a bit behind the curve though. :)

BTW - My daughter got one of those sit-n-spin things for Christmas one year. I don't remember them being as annoying when I was a kid :)

ojulius said...

Sit-N-Spins just made me dizzy. ;o)