Saturday, May 06, 2006

Living the Sterotype

"I'm coloring the text, just like a karaoke screeen," says Frank, with a big grin as he edits a script we are going through for an upcoming Asian Pacific American Annual Celebration. I wouldn't have had a freaking clue what he was talking about had I not heard this ridiculous display of misfits (none Asian, by the way) singing karaoke in Santa Monica at both the King's Head Pub and Barney's Beanery a couple weeks ago.

So the next day, I'm given some free swag from this Asian committee I serve on...it's a a camera carrying case! WTF?!? Somehow I've got to find a way to tell my new found colleagues that they need to stop perpetuating the stereotypes. Good grief!

Well, the Celebration went well. Interestingly, there were more Asian spectators than there were Asian performers, even though each performance reflected an Asian culture.

Met Paige for a ride after the Celebration. Went to our usual route along the Bosque. We're increasing speed each time we ride, so I know I'm improving. I'm increasing speed at an acceptable rate too (no more than 10% a week--PT's orders).

Bosque Ride Stats
  • Ride Time--2:19
  • Total Time--2:22
  • Max Speed--21.2
  • Avg Speed--15.3
  • Distance--35.4
  • Calories Burned (I got my heartrate monitor back!)--780
I've been pushing it way more than 10% a week in terms of overall exercise though, and my hip is paying a price. I jumped from about 2-3 days of very strenuous exercise to 5-6 days. I think that's what did it. Matt has prescribed 3 consecutive rest days. I think I'll take the advice.

I think I'm going to start charting some of this stuff to get a visual image of my progress. Could be cool in a geeky, Asian kind of way. ;o)

No comments: