Sunday, June 04, 2006

Catching Up

Wow, it's been a while since I've had a chance to catch up on the blog. I've been doing nothing but catching up all around...catching up on sleep, work, biking, you name it! Guess that's a good sign though. If I can't get to the blog, then I'm probably out on the bike. ;o)

Tuesday I got a chance to get up early and ride with Sandy. If you recall from my previous blog, Sandy is recovering from surgery as well. As expected, she was pretty scary fast (even at 1/2 of what she used to be able to do on the bike). We meet at the corner of Montgomery and Tramway and pedaled our way up to the Foothills. Sandy let me lead on the climbs for a bit, and never left the back of my wheel. When she led, I could keep up for the most part, but not for sustained periods of time. Then came the downhill. Holy crap! Sandy wisked through the Foothills faster than anyone I've ever seen before! I tried to to stick to her rear wheel, but just got scared and slowed it down. I've seen some dumbass chuckheads speeding through the Foothills, but they are fat and completely out of control. Watching Sandy ride was amazing. She could cut turns without skidding, and effortlessly slow down when approaching hikers were near--again, without skidding. It was like she wasn't even really touching the ground. It's hard to explain, you just have to see it.

Wednesday was an elliptical machine day--blah. I need to work in other cardio besides just biking, according to my PT. Guess I work different muscles if I switch cardio types, which better improves my hip strength. So I caught some news and a bit of this thought-depraved Deal or No Deal TV show--I'm glad I don't watch TV much. If this show is any indication of what the American public wants to see, I'm afraid of what the country is becoming. Surely we'll outgrow this trend of thoughtless, homogenized automatrons who display "patriotic" bravado by putting stupid ribbon magnets on vehicles to prove to everyone that they're on the "winning team". We got spirit, yes we do! We got spirit, how 'bout you!?! Mark Twain said it best, "Patriot: the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about".

Thursday was the chica ride! The usual suspects showed up and we had our fun in the Foothills. The skies were overcast, making for a great day to ride! Nice and cool. Ran into Randy, Kim's other half, who was out doing a solo. Then we saw Matt, out on the new Bianchi San Jose singlespeed!

Went to Il Vicino (as always) for dinner, and ran into Denise. She's going to do the Crested Butte 100 with us July 15. I'll be sticking to the short version...very short, but Matt will do the 100, I'm sure.

Friday was a rest day.

Saturday Paige and I went to Santa Fe and rode Dale Ball Center and North. It was slightly cooler in Santa Fe, so the ride was pleasant. We stopped at 2nd Street Brewery for a treat on the way home. Sue was supposed to come along, but morning sickness hit...yeck, sure am glad I'm not her.

Sunday was paint day. Matt and I managed to get most of the outside of the house completed. What a pain that was! The coyote is back too. He decided to leave a dead rabbit near the doorstep this time. Glad Matt always finds the carnage because I would just freak out anyway.

I'm tired now! Time for some shuteye. Gonna ride the commuter into work tomorrow. This will be a first!

2 comments:

WUNNSPEED said...

Wow... I feel so very, um, inadequate. You made a whole weeks worth of posts and riding in one post. Geez... you overacheiver you.

Coyote? Kewl....

ojulius said...

Well, I don't know about being an overachiever...isn't that more laziness?? ;o)

Coyotes are kewl IF they don't leave dead animals (or their entrails) at your doorstep to greet you in the morning.