Friday, June 09, 2006

Rain to the South!

Went on a road ride today. I was hoping to get in about 35 miles or so, but was stopped for a bit by an incoming storm that brought lots of rain, thunder and lightning! I saw the storm approaching, but had hoped I'd be able to miss it...no such luck!

I made it to 4 Hills and did the ride around the neighborhood out there. The winds were really building and I could hear the thunder around me. I was still being optimistic, thinking the storm might go around me. The winds just kept getting stronger and then the lightning came, which was a tad scary, even though the rain was going to be a welcome sight. Heading down hill back to the Smith's, it started to rain hard--really hard! I made it to Smith's and ducked inside. The lightning and absolute downpour turned me into an instant wuss. I waited until the storm died down and then headed back out. Still raining, but not as hard. I got to the light at Central and Tramway and was stopped. The wind was really, really blowing, but thank goodness it was at my back--rain blowing in the face wouldn't have been fun. To give you an idea of how hard it was blowing, I rode up the little climb from Central & Tramway at 26.5 mph without any effort!! I'm normally lucky if I can get up that at about 15 mph. I rode the Surly today and it made a difference with the wind. The other day, riding on the Giant in the wind was uncontrollable. Today, I felt in control, even though I was getting pushed around...the extra weight of the bike did the trick.

So the wind pushed me along until I hit Lomas, and then, as always, it switched directions. So I got rain from the side and from the front now. Luckily, by the time I hit Montgomery, it had stopped. I was really drenched, but the wind (with no rain now) dried me out by the time I was at the bottom of Simm's Park Road! Headed up to Elena (where it was sunny!!) and rode around the guard shack. Then did the neighborhood climbs/ride. I decided to go to the neighborhood north of the road to the tram. Did fine until I tried to climb Rock Ridge. That was a bad idea...I stayed in the seat, but was pushing the pedals way too hard. I heard something pop in my right hip joint. I have no idea what it was, but it hurt, so I decided to call it a day and headed back home.

Ride Stats
  • Distance: 30.6
  • Ride time: 2:10 hrs
  • Total time: 2:30 hrs
  • Max speed: 49.5 mph (I'm questioning that speed--I went fast in the hood, but I don't think that fast!!)
  • Average speed: 14.8 mph
  • Average heartrate: 150
  • Calories: 940
Got home and Matt was working on the new singlespeed for me! Yeah! Got a chance to ride my transformed Kind Cycle and it's cute little 24" wheels. I'm riding on gearing that most singlespeeders would call wussy--even plus 2, I believe is what you are supposed to say. I've got a 36 up front and a 20 in back. Well, I guess I deserve a little help since I'm still injured. ;o)

2 comments:

Matt said...

Ummm...plus 2 is what most people ride around here. But on your 24-in rear wheel it is a little lighter. Some like to push a hard gear on a SS bike and some like to spin faster. I would not say you have a wussy gear by any definition.

ojulius said...

I feel much better now. Now let's just hope I can actually use the gear combo.:)