Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Taping up the Knees

Old age sucks!! I'm recovering from this ridiculous hip surgery, and now my knees (both of them) are giving me problems. I've noticed it for many years, but lately, they've really been bothering me, right in the front just below the knee caps. I saw Sallie today and asked her about it. She said I'm just slowly rubbing away the cartilage between that area. I need to strengthen muscles around there as much as possible...so today, PT was about knees more than the hip. Might as well just shoot me now!!!

So, here are the new routines from Sallie for hip AND knees.

3/29/06 Routine 8
  • Hip Exercises
    • Modified Hip Flexor from Routine 6--add 2 lb weights to the leg. Do 3x6-10.
    • Advanced Stability Ball from Routine 7--try to start doing this exercise. Make sure I'm not wobbly. "March" my feet slow enough that I keep my balance. Do 3x6-10.
    • Leg Press--no more than 45 degree angle at the back of the knee. Start with 40 lbs. Do 3x6-10.
    • Massage-have Matt massage the inner, front muscle of my hip. Apply pressure while working the leg (knee bent) up and down.
  • Knee Exercises
    • Lying Quad Set--on my back, legs straight, tighten quad muscles, hold for 6 secs, release. Follow with quick twitches of the same muscle. 3x6-10.
    • Sitting Quad Sets--while seated, legs in front, knees bent, push feet down into floor (place ball between knees for advanced move) and hold for 6 secs, release. Follow with quick twitches. Move feet slightly out and do the same. Do 5-7 positions. Do this several times a day.
    • Standing Quad Sets--Stand with back to wall, heels against wall. Place 6 inch diameter towel behind knee. Push knee toward wall and hold 10 sec. Do 3x6-10. Repeat with a smaller diameter towel.
    • Standing Wall Squats--With back against wall and heels about 6-10 inches from wall, slide down wall slightly (as far as I can without pain). After initial squat, shift weight to right leg, hold for 10 secs, shift weight to left leg, hold for 10 secs. Do different feet positions as with Sitting Quad Sets.
Taping the Knees
  • Start with some Skin Prep (it comes in a tube).
  • Start with White Cover-Roll Stretch tape. Piece should be long enough to start at R edge of knee (Right leg) to around knee, but NOT onto the hamstring tendon. Center the bottom edge of the knee cap under the white tape.
  • On top of the white tape, I'll be using the brown Leukotape. Start with a 5" strip, anchor onto right edge of the patellar tendon, leave the rest hanging. With a new 3" strip, anchor onto L side of knee, lined up with the inside edge of the kneecap. Leave the rest hanging.
  • Take the 2 hanging pieces of tape and form a tent while pulling tape anchors out, away from kneecap. Tape brown edges together, the lay the remaining sticky edge of the 5" strip of tape on the left edge of the knee.
  • Do this same procedure on the left leg.
  • I can wear this for as long as tolerated, and can even shower in the tape. Remove carefully or I'll end up removing some skin along with the tape!! OUCH!

No comments: