Saturday, February 04, 2006

You Have to Start Somewhere--Thanks, Sandy!

Hip surgery, actually, a periacetabular osteotomy and a hip arthroscopy. That's what I'm recovering from. The surgery was Nov. 11, 2005. I'm finally able to get into a fitness routine, so I feel it's time to start tracking what I'm doing.

PTs--my surgeon doesn't recommend them. He thinks they tend to be a little over-zealous with their work. However, I believe that's a bit of a generality, and have decided to seek the advice of a PT against my surgeon's wishes. I'm a creature of habit and tend to do better when given a regimine to follow, plus I've got a lot of PT friends, so I'm not hurting for advice.

I've noticed remarkable changes in my flexibility and muscle strength since working with PTs, so I think it's time to start tracking my progress!

My first session--Sandy
Sandy has been a pro mountain bike racer. She's an unbelievable athlete and someone whose advice I trust. She was the first to help me out with a exercise routine in the swimming pool.

1/13/06 Routine 1
UBE 15 -20 minutes

Pool exercises:
  • Frontwards walking - concentrate on good form, heel to toe foot strike, neutral hip position (i.e. don't let your foot turn inward). 15 "1/2" laps or as deep as you can go
  • Partial squats 2x20, increase to 2x30 as tolerated
  • Heel raises 2x20, increase to 2x30 as tolerated
  • Hip abduction 1x30 each leg (this is the motion where you take your leg out to the side)
  • Hip extension 1x30 each leg (this is the motion where you extend your leg behind you)
  • Hip flexion 1x30 each leg (this is the motion where you kick your leg out in front of you)
Results: By the end of 1 week, I was up to 25 minutes on the UBE and had increased to the max sets/reps recommended. Workouts were difficult at first and became easy by the 4th day.


1/24/06 Routine 2
Continue UBE

Pool exercises (do the above as a warmup and continue with the below):
  • Backwards walking (4 laps)
  • Marching (4 laps)
  • 4 points (1x10)
  • Squares (1x10)
  • Sidestepping (2 laps)
  • Front cross overs (2 laps)
  • Back cross overs (2 laps)
  • Braiding (combining front and back cross overs)(2 laps) - wait until you are comfortable with the cross overs before starting this!
Results: By the end of an additional week (2/4/06), I'm up to 45 minutes on the UBE and can do all the above exercises. I forgot about the Sidestepping!! I'll add that into the routine. In the interest of time, I've reduced the forward walking in Routine 1 to 4 laps.

Sandy encouraged me to see Sallie for some formalized PT assistance. I'll cover Sallie's routines to date in the next blog.



No comments: