Tuesday, February 28, 2006

MOOTS!!

My bike is here!
It came in last night after dinner. To top it all off, Matt got me the Moots seat post and handlebar for my birthday. How awesome is that?!? He took it into Fat Tire today, got me a silver head set, and is already working on putting the parts we have together. This is one sweet bike!! I've decided to go with the gray fork,
rather than the white fork.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to get on the Intense, and the single speed looks like its gonna be lots of fun, but the Moots...it's just a work of art!

So, Matt decided to join me at Defined tonight. It's always entertaining to go to the health club because people there think they are in shape. Unfortunately, they have no idea just how OUT of shape they are. Guys with huge, muscular arms have huge, jiggly bellies that they seem to forget about. Girls are there just to show off their tattoos, generally located on the lower back. Geesh, that's original...it really can't get more pathetic. BUT, the gym is where I have to be until I can get back on the bike like I used to, so I'm not going to complain too much. It's helping me keep my cardio in semi-good condition, and I am strengthening my hip muscles.

2/27/2006 Results
  • Stationary bike 40 minutes (2 breaks, one at 15 and one at 25)
  • Leg pulley exercises (3x20, 15, 10)--ouch, that hurt afterwards!
2/28/2006 Results
  • PT Stretches and exercises, minus the pulley stuff
  • (Yes, it's a rest day, but because the Moots came in, I didn't do these yesterday like I should have)

If Sally were reading this, she'd tell me I'd overdone it again. She's right, as my right hip has been killing me today.

Saw Dr. Schwend today and he's very impressed with my progress. He said the pain in my hip joint isn't inflammation. It's a scar tissue ache from me moving the muscles. The bruised feeling I have along the side of my leg where the arthroscopy and drain holes were are another scar tissue kind of thing. As the scar tissue forms and I move the muscles around where it's trying to form, it's going to cause mild pain. Take a pain reliever and be done with it, is what he said. I don't need to start on the anti-inflammatories again, which is good. I got another round of x-rays that show the bone healing, and no inflammation.

One crazy thing...right near the crest of my ileum, I've been getting a lot of itching. Turns out it's my screws!!! Yowza! Those 3 annoying little buggers are protruding from my bone. I just assumed they'd be recessed into the bone, but they are actually sticking out. The x-rays show it. Dr. Santore did this intentionally since he plans to remove them in a year. If he recesses them, bone often grows over the tops of the screws making the removal much more difficult. As usual, Dr. Santore knows what he's doing. I'll just need to be careful not to rub that area too hard or crash on that side of my body. Lucky for me, I'm a lefty when it comes to crash sides of the body. Better yet, I think I'm going to try not to crash at all.

Oh, here's a picture of Dr. Muldoon too. He's the one who ripped out a lot of my ligaments in the right hip joint--the arthroscopy. His work hurt the most in some ways. The little hole where his scope went in hurts and is quite noticeable on my leg. Eck. He was surprised how much damage I had done to my joint, according to Matt. I don't recall much of a conversation with him. I was still pretty heavily sedated.

1 comment:

Matt said...

You've always had a screw loose....or so they say