Saturday, April 22, 2006

Waiting...

It's Saturday and Matt's riding the Mullholand Double Century. He should be back in a little over an hour. Since I'm still a cripple, I'm hanging out. But hanging out ain't so bad, really. There are much worse things to do. So this morning at about 5:50 AM, Matt and I headed out the hotel room to the 6:00 AM mass start. Matt's riding with Dr. David, so we found him and the guys got in line. Not much of a line since most of the group decided to start earlier than the mass start, but there were at least 20 there. I took some pics, said hi to Bill (a guy I've seen at all the DCs Matt's done so far), and then headed back to the room.

Took a leisurely ride from Agoura Rd to Las Virgenes to Mullholand Hwy. What a beautiful road to ride on! This entire town is just made for road riding! Lots of long, smooth roads that wind through trees with very few stops along the way. I had a great time riding, even though my gearing still isn't working. Bike World took a look at it and thought we'd fixed it, but no. Found that out when I was climbing today. What the f&*% do I have a 27 in back for if I can't use it?!? The second to largest cog in back didn't work either, so I was climbing in a not so easy gear. I managed okay, but it definitely cut the ride short as my hip wasn't up for the challenge. Managed to get in 21 miles, 13.4 avg speed, 34.6 max speed, 1 hr 34 min ride time, 1 hr 45 min total time.

I immediately went for a soak in the very HOT hot tub at the hotel. Hot enough to bake me from the outside in, but it definitely felt good! Laid out in the sun a bit and took a nap. It was partly cloudy, so I wasn't too worried about turning into a lobster. I've been biking in knickers lately, so I got a really messed up tan line I'd like to get rid of soon.

Tomorrow we head for Santa Monica! I love that place. We're gonna risk it and try the low-end Bayside Hotel. We'll see if it's worth it. It's closer to the beach, so we thought we'd give it a try over our normal Sheraton that we stay at. Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments: