Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Timid Tuesdays and Such

Yesterday, new FooMTB member Jim led the first FooMTB Timid Tuesday ride. Had the Chicas (Paige and me) not been there, only Randy would have shown up for the ride. I'm one of the most positive, upbeat people in the world, but this is starting to piss me off. So, members of the club bitch and moan because we don't have easy rides for them...we establish one, and only 1 person shows up?!? What a bunch of freakin' whiny-assed babies. Really...and they're almost all guys too (not that it should matter, but stereotypically, you expect guys to have some balls and get out and ride if they claim to be mountain bikers--LOSERS! Posers!). No excuses!!

An old member from Save Otero, Gary, once told us how tough it was to be part of a bike club. I thought he was filled with negativity and bad vibes, talking about how much work it is, how lame and worthless people can be, and how much it wears you down and tires you out. I have to say, he was right. I was thoroughly optimistic and totally clueless when it came to understanding what it takes to lead people. I now understand. Maybe I'll remove these first 2 paragraphs from my blog later, but for now, it's how I feel and I'm tired of shutting up about it. I can't even get people to volunteer to help for the IMBA Trail Crew visit. So far, 5 people. That's it. Out of a club of over 70?!?

UPDATE: Okay, so I feel better now. I know that people in Albuquerque are naturally apathetic. It's just something I all have to get used to. I won't let it get to me anymore. Some people volunteered to help with the IMBA Trail Crew visit at the last FooMTB club, which is great! I won't be the one requesting visits anymore in the future though. Someone else will have to be in charge of that.
So, now that I feel only mildly better after venting, I did have an excellent ride. Jim's a great guy and the perfect person to lead the Timid Tuesday ride. He's mild-mannered, easy going, and a fun person to hang around with. We headed toward Elena, did some loops around that area, then finished up by riding to the water tower and through Dan's trail back to the old Circle K. My bike computer kept shutting off and I'd forget to turn it on, but the stats, as far as I can tell are as follows:
  • 13-15 miles (computer kept turning off)
  • 8 mph avg
  • 2:30 total time
  • Calories burned: 801
I ran into some female bikers while we were out there, Ada, Stacy and Katie. I'm hoping maybe we can do a ride sometime together. It's always good to see strong women riders on the trails!

So, to recap on the fitness thing, biked road on Saturday, mountain on Sunday, bike rollers on Monday, Timid Tuesday ride, bike rollers Wednesday. Thursday is gonna be a rest day. Not sure what I'll do Friday yet. Matt and I will be heading to the Breckenridge 100. Matt's gonna be racing, I'll do some solo riding on my own. Should be nice. I hope it's dry!!

Oh, this has nothing to do with my post, but I love this pic!! Matt took it on his last ride in Placitas with Nate. I hope I never see one of those on a ride. Yeck!

5 comments:

K said...

I'm sorry I missed it... I hope to be there next week - really... :)

ojulius said...

Oh, you're sweet! If it weren't for the Chica ride, I'd have given it up a long time ago with the group rides. :)

Matt said...

Awe, chill out. Dan went through this earlier on his group rides. He just ignored the comments (it's too fast, it's too hard, etc).

Cancel the IMBA visit if you want...it's not really all that important - white mesa is open afterall.

WUNNSPEED said...

I fully understand the frustration. Part of why I, finally, had to get out of that line of "fun". It just wasn't fun for me anymore.

Hopefully, people will start to warm up to the idea of a new ride. Often takes one friend telling another that it was fun. Sad, but true.

Now, the low number on the IMBA visit... that sucks!

Hope it gets better.

ojulius said...

Well, guess I just had to vent. I can now chill out, as Matt suggests. Sometimes it's good to get things off your chest...you feel much better about it afterwards!