Sunday, July 02, 2006

Four Hills

Got in a nice road ride today, heading out to Four Hills and back home again. Still got the stomach bug, but Matt gave me some pills he got from Mexico a long time ago when he had a similar affliction. The stuff cleared him up right away, so I thought I'd give it a try, even though the expiration date on the stuff is 2001. It's been helping, but I still have stomach cramps...yeck. The riding was slow because I kept getting light headed, but I managed to do a short spin through 4 Hills and then back to the house.

Went to the doctor's office on Monday after waking up and hurling my guts out several times. I figured that 3.5 days was a bit long for food poisoning, and when I throw up, it's time to see the doc. She couldn't attribute it to anything...5 possibilities, the most probable being a stomach virus. She took some blood, gave me a script for anti-nausea meds and sent me home for more rest. She also said to lay off the bike a couple days because I'm dehyrdrated and probably have an electrolyte imbalance with all the you know what that comes with stomach viruses. So Monday and Tuesday were off. I'm hoping for the Chica Ride Wednesday.

I decided to look up the Mexico meds I was taking on the Internet. Lomotil (2.5 mg/8 hrs) and Chloromycetin (250 mg/8 hrs). Turns out the 2nd med is banned in the US. The only acceptable form of the drug is intravenously and only in life-threatening cases where other antibiotics aren't working. We can't even use this in food-producing animals, as the FDA banned it as well. One side effect is fatal aplastic anemia. This apparently affects 1 in 24,000 - 40,000 people. Who knows how they got that range. The first med is just fine, but overkill for my situation.

Needless to say, I stopped taking the drugs and am sticking to what the doctor prescribed.

Well, Matt and I took a short trip to Santa Fe tonight to get out of the city. We had dinner at 2nd Street and then came back home to all the locals parking there vehicles at gas stations and along Tramway to our house...just to see the fireworks. To me, fireworks are boring. Once you've gone to Disney Word and seen their display of fireworks, it completely takes all the "oohs and ahhs" out of ordinary displays. It's a shame, really. Well, off to bed.

No comments: