Wednesday, August 02, 2006

More Rides

August 1 was the 14th anniversary for Matt and me. We're celebrating this weekend in Flagstaff! Should be a great time. We haven't ridden out there together this year, so should be a lot of fun. Got a smokin' deal on the Residence Inn (I'm crafty at these things, I tell ya!), so we'll be sleeping well! No noisy train, no funky bed.

So, Tuesday, Aug. 1, I did the Timid Tuesday ride. All my Chicas bailed on me, so I rode with the ride leader, Jim, Mitch, and Evan (kid from last week who lasted about 7 miles). I took the SS and had a great time! Evan actually rode the entire ride with us. He actually listened to me and didn't try to chase me on the climbs. Amazing what a little energy conservation for the body can do. We even took him up through the technical North Foothills, up to the watertower at the Tram, and down Dan's trail. I was impressed.

Got a good workout in with the SS. Still had a heck of the time with some of the climbing. Matt switched out the gear now, so I'll try that out. I'll suck on the flats, but I'd really like to try to nail more of those climbs!

Wednesday, Denise and I headed out on Dan's trail to La Cueva and on to Juan Tabo Basin. It was a shorter, hard ride today with lots of technical stuff and climbing (old pics, but you get the idea). Brought the Moots, but would have enjoyed the Intense in several areas. La Cueva and Juan Tabo have been beaten down by the rain leaving lots of water ruts, loose rock, and very difficult sections. Some areas are just new challenges. Other parts of the trail (water ruts) need some loving care...perhaps when the weather cools a bit.

Got home from the ride and Matt had just finished dinner! He had enough for three, so Denise hung out for dinner and then took off to learn how to kayak at a local pool.

Can't wait for the weekend in Flag!

7 comments:

WUNNSPEED said...

Geez you two... 14 years! Congrats, but did you two start dating at 6 years of age?

ojulius said...

We aren't that young!

K said...

Wow, 14 years!!! Congrats :)
I'm jealous that you're going to Flag this weekend - I miss that place. Have a beer (or several) for me. :)

ojulius said...

Thanks for the congrats! Flag was great. The weather was beautiful and the beer, excellent as usual. You'll have to get back out there soon. The riding is great! Did you ride out there when you were at school?

K said...

I'm glad you guys had a great time.
No, I didn't discovery mtn. biking till I moved to California after I graduated. Bummer too, I'm sure it is awesome out there.

I *MIGHT* head out to Flag Labor Day weekend to help with Rush. Our chapter is doing REALLY bad, so who knows. That's a huge might though.

ojulius said...

Oh man, bummer to hear the AOIIs aren't doing too hot in Flagstaff. Gotta do something to help those girls out!!

K said...

Yeah, they haven't been doing so hot since about 2000 or so. I'm actually surprised they're still around. We lost our wing in the Greek dorm because we didn't have enough girls to fill it. :(